Photo Credit From the Hip
Zola, a wedding registry service, surveyed more than 750 newly-engaged and newly-married couples about their expectations for the most important wedding day expenditures. Then, the recently married also gave their input on what actually made their special day unforgettable, and the money well spent, the money not-so-well spent, and the money not spent at all.
With wedding planning, it may be difficult to focus on anything but the big day, but it’s important to consider what happens afterwards as well. As a couple, you should ask yourself what elements are most important and how would you want to remember this day.
A shocking 35% of couples wish they’d hired a videographer, and 25% wish they’d spent more on one! A lot of couples feel as though they don’t need a videographer and see it as an unnecessary expense. However, people forget that the wedding will come and go so quickly, and they’ll wish that they’d captured those moments and could relive it over and over again. Need help finding one? Check out our videographers on our trusted local vendor guide.
Other important elements are of course the decor and entertainment. In the same survey, it was found that couples wish’d they spent more on flowers and decor, as well as the wedding band or DJ. The old adage “you get what you pay for” seems to ring true in this situation. Before booking your vendors, you must do your research and ask the right questions beforehand. You should feel comfortable to discuss with your vendor your budget limitations, the venue space, and any other concerns you may have. They’re the experts for a reason, and will be happy and willing to see out your vision! These are also elements that your guests will remember.
Biggest Newlywed Do-Over Wishes:
- Over 1/3 (35%) of couples wished they had hired a videographer (check out our videographers on our trusted local vendor guide)
- 20% of couples wish they had hired a wedding planner
- 17% of couples wish they had stressed less about hiring the "perfect" vendors
The top 5 vendors couples wish they had spent LESS $$ on:
- 22% - Flowers / decor
- 20% - Hair / makeup
- 19% - Catering
- 19% - Day-of-wedding attire (dress, suit, accessories, etc.)
- 17% - Invitations
The top 5 vendors couples with they spent MORE $$ on:
- 25% - Videographer
- 22% - Photographer
- 20% - Wedding planner / day of coordinator
- 12% - Flowers / decor
- 10% - Band/DJ
Before & After The Big Day - What Couples Deem "Truly Unforgettable"
Zola asked engaged couples and newlywed couples to rank wedding elements that will make / made their big day "truly unforgettable." Key learnings include:
- Newlyweds reported that their wedding planner, officiant, wedding cake, and the after party all had a bigger impact on their wedding day than is prioritized by engaged couples.
- On the other hand, engaged couples ranked hair/makeup & invites in their top 10 list of important wedding elements, but these line items did not actually rank as having an impact on the big day.
- It's also interesting that the after party is more important than the rehearsal dinner for all couples
Engaged: top 10 wedding elements engaged couples deemed "Most Important"
- Day-of-wedding attire (dress, suit, accessories, etc.)
- After party
- Hair and makeup
- Wedding officiant
Vs. Newlywed: top 10 elements newlyweds said actually made their day "truly unforgettable"
- Day-of wedding attire (dress, suit, accessories, etc.)
- Wedding officiant
- Wedding planner or coordinator
- After party
- Wedding cake
Thanks to Zola's registry services for the survey and info.